What are the best ways to cook sweet potatoes?
- Toss steamed or roasted sweet potato wedges with a sprinkling of spices or spice blends,like cinnamon,cumin,za’atar or even chili powder.
- Stir puréed sweet potato into whole grain pancakes or mini muffins.
- Make mini veggie patties with mashed sweet potato and black beans.
- Fold shredded sweet potato into mini beef or turkey meatballs.
Is it best to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
Steaming and boiling cook the sweet potato too quickly, but baking it in the oven at 350°F or lower is perfect.
Sweet potatoes are done when they’re soft all the way through.
How do you cook sweet potatoes?
3. Keep them dry.
- Preheat oven to 425º. On a baking sheet, prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Bake until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool, then split the tops open with a knife and top with a pat of butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
What is the fastest way to cook a potato?
- Scrub the potato, and prick several time with the tines of a fork. Place on a plate.
- Cook on full power in the microwave for 5 minutes. Turn over, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. When the potato is soft, remove from the microwave, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Top with remaining cheese and sour cream, and serve.
How long do you cook sweet potato in the microwave for?
Pierce the sweet potato skin with a fork 5 to 6 times. Place the sweet potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 5-10 minutes—five minutes to cook one sweet potato in the microwave, and add two minutes for each additional potato—rotating them halfway through.
What is the healthiest way to cook a sweet potato?
Our Healthy Steaming method for sweet potatoes is quite simple: Fill the bottom of a steamer pot with 2 inches of water. While waiting for the water to come to a rapid boil, slice potatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Steam for 7 minutes and toss with our Mediterranean Dressing and top with your favorite optional ingredients.
Do you peel sweet potatoes before boiling?
Do I Need to Peel Sweet Potatoes Before Boiling? You do not need to peel sweet potatoes before boiling. If leaving the peel on, you will need to pierce the skin of the potato with a fork a few times. Also, boiling a sweet potato with the peel will require slightly more time for it to cook through.
Can you eat sweet potato skin?
Yes, the skin of a sweet potato is edible. Eating the skin will add more nutrition to your plate such as fiber and potassium. Also baking them is a better choice than boiling. It’s also good to know that most of the sweet potato nutrients are preserved when prepared and eaten with the skin.
Do sweet potatoes and regular potatoes cook the same?
As a rule of thumb, russets take slightly longer to cook than sweet potatoes. But your cooking method makes a difference in cooking times – sometimes russets and sweet potatoes can cook in the same amount of time. Size also matters, because a large sweet potato may take more time to cook than a tiny russet.
Is boiled sweet potato good for you?
Sweet potatoes are nutritious, high in fiber, very filling, and delicious. They can be eaten boiled, baked, steamed, or fried.